Quotes are from Amir Khan about jihadisation, Craig Considine about the Prophet (SAW), Natalie Portman about the false idol Oscar, and others.
Links are to a really interesting animation about Pamela Geller, an article by Queen Rania, an article about Muslim Spain, an article about how lucrative Muslim bashing can be, and a really humbling profile of a Muslim called Raihal Fajriah. Enjoy!
- No other leader in world history has been more scrutinized and ridiculed than Prophet Muhammad. Since the founding of Islam in 632 AD, Christians and Jews have described the Prophet of Allah as a blasphemer, bigot, terrorist, and pedophile, among other slurs. However, according to a new book The Covenants Of The Prophet Muhammad With The Christians Of The World (published by Angelico Press, 2013), these accusations are found to be dishonest, prejudiced, and not based on sound scholarship. – Craig Considine
- People are brainwashing them. Kids don’t grow up thinking about going out and killing innocent people. It’s why I go to schools and tell them: ‘Look, you want to follow the right path. You want to represent your country in a good way. You want to build a name for yourself and your families.’ I stand up all the time and say this. Obviously innocent people shouldn’t be killed. Obviously this is wrong. – Amir Khan, speaking about the jihadisation of young British Muslims, in an interview with the Observer
- I don’t know where it is. I think it’s in the safe or something. I don’t know. I haven’t seen it in a while. I mean, Darren actually said to me something when we were in that whole thing that resonated so deeply. I was reading the story of Abraham to my child and talking about, like, not worshipping false idols. And this is literally like gold men. This is literally worshipping gold idols — if you worship it. That’s why it’s not displayed on the wall. It’s a false idol. – Natalie Portman, American Jewish actress, talking about her Best Actress Oscar award statue which she won in 2010 for the movie Black Swan (‘Darren’ is Darren Aronofsky, the director of Black Swan)
- You will never do something as hard as staring someone in the eye and telling them the truth. – from the movie A Most Violent Year (2014)
- The face you give the world tells the world how to treat you. – Gillian Flynn
- Article about technology by Queen Rania of Jordan: What Good Is Technological Progress Without Moral Progress?
- Article about why some people criticise Muslims: Muslim-Bashing Can Be Very Lucrative
- Humbling profile of a Muslim woman: My Day: Aceh Tsunami Museum Guide Raihal Fajriah
- Excellent article by Akbar Ahmed about Islam in Spain: What Andalusia Can Teach Us Today About Muslims And Non-Muslims Living Together
- A very clever animated response to Pamela Geller from the brilliant Mark Fiore (also see the clip Fiore made about Gaza)